Search

Skip Navigation|

Alexandra Road School, Aberystwyth

Alexandra Road School, 1894

THE HISTORY OF ALEXANDRA ROAD SCHOOL/ YSGOL CYMRAEG

Alexandra Road School was built in 1874 for 600 children aged 5-14
It had three departments: Boys', Girls' and infants', each with their own headteacher.
In 1910 a new block was built for 240 more boys with a manual room for 20 boys and a new class room for 40 girls with a cookery centre.
In 1948 part became a secondary school for children who did not go to Ardwyn grammar school. Infants continued to use rooms in the school, while juniors (7-11 yr olds) went to the North Road School.

In 1952 part became an infant and junior school for children who were taught through the medium of Welsh, while North Road school taught through the medium of English, with Welsh as a second language.

In 1955 the new secondary school of Dinas (now Penglais) was built and the senior pupils moved there, leaving room for the North Road pupils to return.

Between 1967 and 1969 a new school was built in Plascrug for pupils who learnt through the medium of English.
The new Ysgol Cymraeg was built near Plas Crug school in 1992, leaving this building available for its present uses.

Alexandra Road School, Aberystwyth, Miss Ellis' class, 1894

.

Alexandra Road School, 1908

The School Board School, on the corner of Morfa Road [Park Avenue] and Lewis Terrace [Alexandra Road] .There is a school and school master's residence, built on land purchased from the Corporation for £750. The walls are on deep concrete foundations. Commenced 1873, opened about May, 1874
Morgan's New Guide to Aberystwyth and Neighbourhood, p. 9