Skip Navigation|



Minister for the Congregationalists (or Independents) in Llanbadarn and Aberystwyth 1806-1835. He was buried in St Michael's churchyard.

Azariah Shadrack was born in Fishguard on the 24th June 1774. Early in his life he worked as a shepherd for his aunt in Trewyddel and became very interested in religion. He became influenced by the Rev. John Phillips at the local Congregational Chapel.

Azariah Shadrack became a well known Preacher and spent many hours practicing his sermons while watching his flock of sheep. After touring South and North Wales, preaching anywhere and to anyone he could, Shadrack spent a few years combining preaching and running a school at Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant.

He eventually took charge of chapels in Tal-y-Bont and Llanbadarn Fawr in 1806. After several years of struggling to build up attendances at services, Azariah Shadrack was instrumental in organising a large missionary meeting held near St Michael's Church.

The enthusiasm which came from this meant that Shadrack was able to start the building of a new chapel in 1821 on Vulcan Street. He travelled far and wide to raise money and the Chapel was opened on 11th May, 1823

During his lifetime Shadrack wrote 24 books and was sometimes called the 'Bunyan of Wales'.

Azariah Shadrack remained a minister in Aberystwyth until he retired in 1835. He continued to preach all round the country until his death in 1844 by which time he was living on North Parade.

Evans, G.E., (1901), Aberystwyth and its Court Leet, p. 55, 74-75

Lewis, Evans, (1933), Old Aberystwyth, p. 78 (NLW MSS 7559C)