- YOU ARE IN:
- THE MUSEUM COLLECTION >
- VIRTUAL TOUR >
- DISPLAYS IN THE COLISEUM >
- RECONSTRUCTION OF A CARDIGANSHIRE COTTAGE, ABOUT 1850 >
- LLANON COTTAGE
This is a typical 2-roomed Cardiganshire cottage of the 18th century; the thatched roof is now covered by corrugated iron. The furniture shown is a mixture of 18th and 19th centuries. Notice (1) The cobbled passage floor. (2) The re-used timbers in the roof and the well-made straw rope under-thatch. (3) The peat fire on the floor and the wooden chimney-hood above (peat does not cause sparks). (4) The small window in the bedroom gable wall. This indicates that there was a loft over the bedroom, where some of the children could sleep, (new loft in place). (5) In the living-room: the 18th century oak chest; the heavy oak armchair; the settle with box base for keeping clothes aired, and the scrubbed table. (6) In the bedroom: the 18th century box-bed, open on one side only, with rope supports. In the loft: the primitive bed, designed to fit under the eaves.
Acknowledgement: This cottage with the adjacent Tudor ruins and a plot of land being developed as a small nature reserve were given to Ceredigion District Council by Mr A D Cameron of Edinburgh in fulfilment of the wishes of his late wife Mrs Elsbeth Cameron (formerly Lloyd).