Search

Skip Navigation|

LAND USE IN CEREDIGION

exhibition number: Agriculture 29

At the beginning of the 19th century, Ceredigion consisted of some well cultivated land in the lowlands and some pasture for sheep and cattle rearing in the hills (much owned by the crown). There was also much waste consisting of bogs, mountains and lead mine waste tips.

From early in the century some of the waste was enclosed and cultivated to provide food for the rising population and to help the country become more independent during the war with France (1792-1815).

Enclosure did little to increase productivity; it simply increased the quantity of land available. The attempts of the government and some major land owners, especially Thomas Johnes of Hafod to improve productivity was off-set by conservatism and lack of capital to invest in experiments and improvements. The latter was made worse by high farm rents.

Moore-Colyer, R.J., (1998), Agriculture and Occupation in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-century Cardiganshire, Ceredigion County History, III, pp. 19-50

AGRICULTURE INDEX

AGRICULTURE, MISCELLANEOUS