Search

Skip Navigation|

LIME

Limestone (calcium carbonate) was burnt in lime kilns which converted it into a powder (calcium oxide or quicklime) which was spread on fields to sweeten (or neutralise) the soil. The trade was reduced when the railways came in the 1860s and when cheap nitrates and other fertilisers came from South America.

Thomas Pryse of Gogerddan encouraged his tennants to improve their land by using lime instead of sea sand and in 1744 his agent had arranged for the construction of a lime kiln at Cardigan.

Howell, D.W., (1986), Patriarchs and Parasites, The Gentry in South-West Wales in the Eighteenth Century, p. 78

NLW, Gogerddan Mss, letter of 5th April of James Lewis to Thomas Pryse

'Edward Lhuyd reported that lime had begun to replace marl as a 'compost' in Cardiganshire'

Moore-Colyer, R.J., (1998), Agriculture and Occupation in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-century Cardiganshire, Ceredigion County History, III, pp. 57

AGRICULTURE INDEX

LIME KILNS