DAIRIES IN CEREDIGION
exhibition number: Dairy 104
BUTTER AND CHEESE
Until the beginning of the 20th century, most milk from Ceredigion was converted to butter and cheese and sold at market.
Once the larger dairies were started from the early 1900s, many farmers sold milk to them. The cream was separated, and the skimmed milk was either sold back to the farmers for cattle rearing, or, later, dried and sold commercially or made into yoghurt.
1880s: 200 gallons per cow per annum. 1980s: 1000 gallons per cow per annum
In 1905, Pont Llanio, by the railway line from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen, was producing 4-5 tons of butter each week.
In 1932, Teifiside Creameries Ltd was formed at Capel Dewi which took milk from the local farms.
In 1932, the Co-op creamery was reopened at Newcastle Emlyn by Dried Milk Products to make cheese. It was taken over by the Milk Marketing Board in 1979 until it was closed in 1983.
THE MILK MARKETING BOARD
The Milk Marketing Board was formed in 1933. They started cream separating at Pont Llanio in 1936 and took over the Chesnut Creamery in 1944, and the organisation of milk recording from 1949.
The Milk Marketing Board opened Felin Fach Creamery in 1951.
LLANDDEWI BUTTER FACTORY
Collected milk between 1912 and 1915 (info from Anthony Evans). (Is this the same as the Llanio Factory?)
BUTTER MERCHANTS IN KELLY'S TRADE DIRECTORY, SOUTH WALES, 1926
Evan Davies, Gwynful Hall, Llangeitho; Thomas Evans, Nantigo, Cellan; Jn Jones and Sons, The Market, Cardigan
Earlier trade directories do not mention dairies, butter manufacturers or cheese makers. This implies that dairying was generally on a small scale.